I Kant Rite

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Almost there!

12 down, 1 to go!

I just turned in the fifth component of my final project - there are six parts in all. Even though I only have one paper left, the final class looks like a LOT of work. I think it will include a lot of editing and revamping the parts I have already completed. But so far only part 2 needs some adjustments. I achieved 100% on parts 1, 3 and 4! I can't believe I start my final class tomorrow.

Typing up this last bit of the paper tonight wasn't easy though. I play co-ed softball on Monday nights. This is only my second season playing in this co-ed league, and I played on one before. However, now I play third base. That position scared me in college against girls. Granted I never played third base in college, but I never wanted to play the "hot corner." No way did I want a ball drilled down my throat or at my head (okay a ball graze my head once when I was pitching but the thought of third base still frightened me more). Well some how last summer people were trying different positions, and some how one day I ended up at third. Unfortunately, I have this idea that I have to do my best no matter where I am or what I am doing. So I went and had a good defensive game and third and now am permanently placed there. It certainly keeps me alert. When a guy is batting, I stand back as far as I can while there is still dirt under my feet. Reaching the grass I figure is a little much, but I am very close. My arm can handle the throw to first. Tonight I had a good pick up going to my left, but after that I threw the ball to first...well about 2 feet over my first baseman's head. Oops! I had a couple of pop flies I managed not to drop. Then came the 7th inning (at least I think it was the 6th), which we almost didn't play because of the time limit and darkness, but the stupid jocks on the other team insisted we finish the game. I hate them more than ever now!

After one out, a guy steps up to the plate and on the first pitch he sends a screaming line drive at me. But it was as if I was playing catch with somebody. I raised up from my ready position, I caught the ball at chest level, only nobody I have ever played ball with could ever fathom throwing that hard. I have caught the ball in the "wrong" spot before. You know that part of your palm at the base of your pointer finger where once that spot is bruised, it's bruised for the life of the season? Well it hit just to the right of that so it hit a litte between the bones of the pointer and middle finger in the palm of my hand. After I threw the ball back to the pitcher I thought it's a good thing I keep that pointer finger outside the glove through its little escape hatch. That extra padding may have helped. However, then I thought wow the back of my hand feels odd and like the glove is getting tighter. When we finally got the third out, I headed back to the bench, took off my mitt, and saw that the back of my hand was actually swelling! The pain had increased and my hand was tightening. I didn't have to bat that inning nor did we have to go back in the field - lucky for me. As I drove home I had trouble gripping the steering wheel, felt the pain spreading to other fingers and down into my wrist. It didn't last in those other spots but it was a little unnerving. I managed to finish my paper, and continue to use the puffy hand to type now but I fear what will see and feel in the morning. I guess I should go take some advil, eh?

Okay well we're on to May and only 6 weeks until my next diploma is achieved...along with a higher student loan payment! Wahoo! The price for gaining wisdom. Ha!

Leg up!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home