I Kant Rite

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Charlie, the Miracle Cat

When I got Charlie in December of 2000, he was a shy, little, black and white, 6 month old kitten with a Hitler-like mustache. He was very timid because apparently his brief stay with his previous owner included other animals and children that were not so nice to him. Six and a half years later he is still pretty timid and will cower when I got to pet him. His previous owner must have really done a job on him, because I have never once laid a malicious finger on him or even thought about it. He is the nicest cat ever - doesn't scratch the furniture or whatever else bad cats do. A few years ago he started walking strangely - flat footed on his hind feet...very strange and hard to describe really. Then he started having these weird spasms when anyone would pet him. It was like he had some kind of nerve damage somewhere in his spine. He just seemed to age rapidly. He would still eat - boy could he still eat! And he wouldn't hesitate to let me or any guest sleeping on the couch know he wanted to be fed. I believe Donna sent me a text message once to get up because the cats were bugging her at about 7 am to eat.

Shortly before I moved out of the Teall Avenue house, Charlie's strange spinal/nerve spasms seemed to subside. And I actually haven't seen one since. Charlie has also never been one to go outside. I tried a couple times a few years ago to put a harness on him to take him out, but he wanted nothing to do with any string tied around his neck and body. I can't say that I blame him really. He has always been curious about what goes on outside - birds, squirrels, passing leaves - but has never attempted to escape. A couple weeks before I moved from my Manlius apartment, I was out on the front porch, and as I opened the door to go back in, Charlie was sitting right inside and started to make a move to the other side. I couldn't believe it. I don't ever recall him looking to explore new territory. He had seemed to show more activity - batting around the noisy cats toys and chasing an occasional shoe lace. I was seeing new life in him.

A couple weeks in my current place brought another new chapter in Charlie's upswing. One day I was lying on the couch and I heard Niner meowing but like he was annoyed (just trust me I can tell the difference ha ha). I looked towards the sound, and saw Charlie on top of Niner, biting at him! Niner escaped his half pint captor but Charlie pounced on him again! I couldn't believe it. The other day it happened again - Charlie started chasing Niner, who just ran away from him. Charlie also plays a lot more now with toys without any teasing from humans. Maybe the lack of stairs is helping. To some it seems stupid to write about a cat, but when they are your own and one has a problem that a vet can't figure out, it's encouraging to see him still have that kitten-like spunk once in a while.

I think Madison just fell off the back of the loveseat in her sleep. lol

They can be entertaining, and it's nice to have some company especially when I am sad like tonight. Well at least he doesn't sleep in the litter box anymore. ha ha

Leg up!!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Chickenhawk said...

    That's so cool. I'm so glad the cats are not only digging the new place, but they are flourishing! Way to go Charlie!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home