I Kant Rite

Friday, March 23, 2007

It's sunny but it's not

We finally have some consistent sunshine today. But along with that came some bad news.

Uncle Bob Chilson passed away this week, which I found out in a text message at 6:30 this morning from Dad. I didn't really get to see Uncle Bob that much through out the year, but without fail I saw him every Labor Day weekend along with the rest of his crew for our annual gathering. I have heard how tough he used to be but like many men I think, he softened up over the years...probably when the grandkids came along. He was fun and I'll always picture him sitting next the fire talking to the other men including Grandpa. That was the hardest part about finding out Uncle Bob died. Like I said I didn't see or know him that well, but what I do remember are fond memories of being down back which also take me to my Grandpa and how much I miss him. And now with things going on with Grandma, it's hard to see a silver lining these days.

Dad has had a busy day of keeping me updated with the family. First it was the text at 6:30. Then on my way to lunch he called and said G'ma fell last night. At that time, they didn't think anything was wrong. The staff at the nursing home got her up every two hours throughout the night to make sure there was no neurological damage, so she was pretty beat today. Then a couple hours later the nursing home called Dad and said they would be sending her to University Hospital because they thought her halo may have moved. My stomach did a somersault at this point. It's hard not to worry. Physically she is one hell of a fighter. It's the mental part that is hard to overcome. I've come to learn I have more Russell mental traits...actually Barber...than I originally thought. I thought that was all on the Millis side, but there are a lot of things in how I feel and think that are similar to this grandmother. And come to find out (just yesterday) her favorite color is red, too!!

It is not easy to accept change especially after 30+ years but it is inevitable. I guess it is appropriate that I am in a class right now about planning and implementing change in an organization. Having to bear change requires looking at the benefits of it - if you can find or believe them.

No leg up today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home