I Kant Rite

Friday, April 25, 2008

12 or So Hours

That's about how much longer is left before the big guy comes home - I hope.

It has been a long emotional week. Niner had surgery yesterday afternoon. He needed some reconstructive surgery on part of his urinary tract. I thought maybe he would get to come home today, but they wanted to keep him to make sure his control was coming back. He was progressing, so one more day should do the trick. The most encouraging news was that the doc said his attitude is great - he was eating and wanting to be pet. That wasn't surprising - even though he can be a rough bastard at times, he is a very friendly cat. Pet him and he is your friend for life. I can't wait to see him again! I haven't seen him since Tuesday morning when I left him at the vet in a very painful state. At one point I was afraid his medical condition was something that would cause me to make the decision to not have him around any more. He is 12ish years old, but the vet that discussed the surgery with me said he doesn't look or act like a 12 year old. That opinion helped me make the decision to go forward - he'll pull through and he has LOTS of time left. I was worried b/c that is major surgery and seems like so much to put him through if the situation was dire. But alas that was not the case - TG!! By 4pm yesterday I was ready for bed. I was so drained and the puffy eyes were the evidence. Part guilt (he has been showing me for a while something was wrong but I missed the signs - DUH), but mostly worry something still may go wrong and that he is lonely.

I had no idea this kind of situation with one of my cats would be so taxing. I know I get attached but holy. Simon's ordeal was tough, but that was a few years ago and Niner has been with me much longer. I have been in shut down mode all week, and all I want to do is be home. I don't really want to be around people - work was about all I could handle. Thanks to everyone that asked about him, just about all of whom have pets and know what this kind of situation is like. It's hard to go through. Plus it costs a fortune but he's worth it. :-)

Here's to many more years with Niner! Leg up!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home