I Kant Rite

Thursday, January 06, 2005

60 Percent

It's an interesting number really.

On the bright side - it's better than half! If it's your batting average, you're a total stud. When I was a junior in college (I played softball for those who weren't aware), one weekend I batted over .600 - that was after four games in two days. This led to being name Conference Player of the week. I was psyched. I knew I had batted well that weekend but had no idea it was over .600. Here I was the starting pitcher and my bat was getting all the attention! What an awesome feeling - I even cried (no shock to those of you who know me very well; I have the most productive tear ducts of anyone I know - happy, sad, angry, doesn't matter; I cried again when I won "Senior Athlete of Year" - now I'm just tooting my own horn, sorry).

On the down side, 60% isn't even passing. It's a big fat "F". You work your ass off to improve to make yourself happy, to make others happy, to feel accomplishment and that grade comes in front of you and your heart just sinks. Especially to some one who strives for perfection even though realistically I know I'll never be perfect. I try the best I can; that's what my Mom always told me growing up. She always saw how much I would beat myself up for not being the best or when I worried that I wouldn't be the best. She always said "do the best you can." I won't lie - I still beat myself up and others and I know that is wrong. I'm doing the best I can. Thanks Mom.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger Millisa said...

    That's funny, all Linda ever told me was to stop being such a little brat to my mother. (Also good advice!)

    Sometimes it's ok to toot your own horn, if you are telling people things they didn't already know. You go girl! I think your best has been great thus far- keep on keepin' on!!

     
  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger misc said...

    Funny, she never said that to me. Oh yeah, I didn't give a crap. Grades from 50-100 - I like variety.

     
  • At 4:09 PM , Blogger misc said...

    Funny, she never said that to me. Oh yeah, I didn't give a crap. Grades from 50-100 - I like variety.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home