I Kant Rite

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

And We're Back! Thanksgiving and Jersey Girl

I did it! I lived through the flu in the year of the great flu-shot shortage. Being sick for a week really drains ones desire to post a second blog...or maybe again it's my procrastination. But I digress.

I was feeling much better the morning of November 25th, the third Thursday of November, a.k.a. Thanksgiving! I can't imagine missing out on that meal. I have had the stomach flu on Easter and Christmas; I was afraid Turkey Day was going to be the next holiday to fall.

Hold that thought - Bon Jovi is on tv...

And we're back!

As I was saying, Thanksgiving...good day. I actually saw the beginning of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I don't think in my 28 1/2 years of existence I have EVER been awake for the beginning of that parade. Amazing. The highlight for me was the new Spongebob Squarepants balloon. The part of me that refuses to grow up loves Spongebob, and even a giant balloon on television brought a smile to my face. I wished I was one of the handlers! But alas, Spongebob moved on and so did I. On to the highlight of the afternoon - food!

I joined about 20 of my family members at my Aunt's house for the annual feast. I swear every year we have just as many pies as we do side dishes...it's insane. So we ate, we cleaned up (I use the term "we" loosely on the clean up; I usually try to look busy doing something else like watching football, which by the way, that Colts/Lions game??), people napped, the typical Thanksgiving Day. Then, it snowed. I don't understand how Syracuse can be at a balmy 40 degrees and at the same time there's a blizzard in my hometown, Otisco, 30 minutes Southeast of the city. Ridiculous. But I guess it could have been worse. I was glad everyone made it to dinner then made it home safely.

I rounded out my evening on my couch watching a movie, "Jersey Girl" (two thumbs WAY down). I am not one to get into a detailed movie review; but I do read them. I was recently reading some reviews of "Jersey Girl". I faintly recall someone making the statement that Ben Affleck couldn't act his way out of a paper bag in this flick; I'm not sure anyone could do that but I got the point and I agreed with that sentiment. I mean I like the guy and I know he isn't a great actor but this was actually painful to watch especially when he was trying to cry. I considered stopping the movie and sprinting to Blockbuster looking for any replacement (was "Gigli" available?), but I pushed through it. I admit I laughed a few times - mostly at George Carlin's character who was funny and definitely likeable. The little girl was cute and was a good little actress. She has potential. Ben should hang up his cleats if all of his future movies are like this. Bad acting, bad writing, don't waste your time.

25 Days Til Christmas!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm a little disappointed that you didn't bring up the class reunion the Saturday after Thanksgiving. You got through the nasty influenza virus like a trooper, but then had a bit much to drink that following Saturday. I think it was safe to say that by Sunday morning, 99% of the toxins in your body had been exorcised.

    Hold on, Steely Dan is on TV...

    Sorry, it wasn't Steely Dan, it was those two old guys from the Muppet Show.

    You said I didn't tell you that "Jersey Girl" was a Kevin Smith movie, but I thought I did. In fact, I thought I pointed it out since they put his fat face in the corner of the DVD cover, but maybe I just said it to myself. Anyway, you haven't seen any of his other movies, so even if I did say it, I can understand how it would be of little consequence to you. I think Kevin Smith is not good. He might be good at being fat, but so am I. Doesn't mean I should be writing dialogue for a major motion picture starring Ben Affleck.

    That's all. Let's get more than one blog every 2 weeks, eh pokey? So far so good, though...

     
  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger Kathie said...

    Great - your first comment to my blog and rite off the bat you tell me you are disappointed about something. And who are YOU calling pokey?!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home